Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Online Life Skill Practice

Isn't it funny how something instantly becomes a "game" and much more fun when it is done on the computer?!?  My students LOVE working on the computers, so when I discovered a site that offered online life skill practice or "games" as we call them in my classroom, I knew my students would be eager to participate.

Warning...if you teach life skills, this website will CHANGE YOUR LIFE!  When I first discovered it, I wanted to tell every person I met in my professional world about it, and just how wonderful it was.  Here is the website: www.gcflearnfree.org.  This website offers a variety (750 to be exact) of tutorials, online classes, trainings, activities and/or games related to the real world 100% free.  It is a program through Goodwill Industries of Eastern North Carolina, so it is funded by proceeds from the Goodwill stores in North Carolina.

So...start by going to the website.  Once there, take your time and explore all the site has to offer.  In our classroom, we primarily use the activities in the "Everyday Life Skills" category, but it offers so much more.

To get to the everyday life skills, first start by selecting "All Topics" on the right side of the main page...

 Next, you will want to scroll down until you find the category "Everyday Life Skills"...

 And under that category is a slew of amazing activities that provide your students opportunities to practice general Functional Life Skills at the comfort of their own computer.  Now, this of course CANNOT be used to replace providing opportunities for your students to practice by actually getting out into the community and completing many of these tasks, but it helps support and reinforce those skills necessary to complete the tasks and may even help with generalization.  We often use it just before or after completing a life skill.  For example, a student is about to go into the kitchen to complete a task that requires them to follow a recipe and cook something in the microwave.  We may have them sit down and do this activity prior to going into the kitchen to allow for them to have some practice before doing the real thing.  Some of our favorite activities, that get used the most are: the Measure / Mix / Bake activities done back to back, the Microwave activity the Vending Machine, the Grocery List...Oh I could go on and on!  This site is just amazing!  Great practice opportunities in a fun, non-intimidating format...just what I need in my classroom!

Come to the edge with me...
Mackenzie



No comments:

Post a Comment